You are now in the main content area

International Learning

Students attending a networking event

Toronto Metropolitan University provides many opportunities for you to take your Urban Planning education global.

By exploring how city-building varies in different regions, you will broaden your knowledge and skills and become better prepared for the profession.

You will also enjoy traveling, learning about a new culture and making global connections.

Visit TMU Global to learn more about global education opportunities.

The School of Urban and Regional Planning partners with four universities to provide student exchange opportunities:

Exchange students remain registered at TMU while on exchange. This means that you will continue to pay tuition to TMU and do not have to apply for readmission upon your return.

Exchanges typically take place in the winter term of your second year.

To determine your eligibility, and to apply, please consult the  (PDF file) International Student Exchange Booklet.


In your third and fourth year — typically in early October — you will participate in required field research projects.

Students travel within Canada or overseas. Past destinations include Chicago, Bogota and Amsterdam.

As part of the field research project, you’ll complete pre-trip preparation, participate in scheduled briefings, conduct field research and prepare a report on issues related to the sites you visit.

Additional costs related to the field research project will be added as an ancillary fee to your tuition.

For more information, please consult the undergraduate calendar or your course outline.

Under special or extenuating circumstances, fourth-year students who are in good academic standing (and have already completed one field research project trip) may apply to undertake an independent field research project trip.

Applications are due on May 1st of your sixth semester.

If the faculty committee approves your application, you must make an oral presentation and submit a written report before the end of term. You will be assigned an advisor.


You will be responsible for all costs and arrangements associated with your independent field research project. The standard ancillary fee charged for school-organized trips will be dropped from your tuition statement.   

The course code will remain on RAMMS as an active registration. 

Field trip expenses are not tax deductible.