You are now in the main content area

Accessibility & Accommodation

Toronto Metropolitan University Housing & Residence Life understands that students living in residence may require accessibility accommodations for a variety of reasons. Meeting our students accommodation and accessibility needs are important to us. Please read the following information to better understand what may qualify as an accommodation and how to apply for an accommodation request when applying to live in residence.

If a student has any medical, dietary, disability or religious needs that may require specific accommodations in residence, they must indicate “Yes” on the housing application.

Completing a Residence Accessibility Accommodation Request form allows us to have a clearer picture of a student’s needs as it pertains to living in residence. Please note that submission of a Residence Accessibility Accommodation Request form does not guarantee a spot in residence. Submitting a completed Accessibility Accommodation Request allows Housing & Residence Life to determine what room-style and accommodations an applicant may receive once offered a space. While we strive to accommodate residents’ needs, we cannot guarantee a specific room-style.

Please note that the Residence Accessibility Accommodations Request Form is valid only for accommodations in residence.


Meal Plan Accommodations

Indicating a need for dietary accommodation will only affect whether an applicant may be placed in a space with kitchen facilities. Meal plans are mandatory for all students living in residence. If a student requires an accommodation for the mandatory meal plan, they will need to connect specifically with TMU Food Services.

How to Submit an Accessibility Accommodation Request

Complete a Residence Application by the application deadline to be considered in the 1st Round of Residence Offers. When prompted, select “Yes” to requiring an accessibility accommodation. Be sure to complete the Emergency Evacuation section.

Complete the Residence Accessibility Accommodation Request Form. It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete Sections A, C (if applicable) and E. The completed form should outline:

  • The nature of the applicant’s situation that requires accommodation
  • What the applicant requires to ensure their accommodation needs are met
  • The measures and strategies currently used at home to address their needs

Email to obtain the Residence Accessibility Accommodation Request Form.

A qualifying professional needs to complete Sections B and D of the Residence Accessibility Accommodation Request Form. Toronto Met Housing & Residence Life does not require medical records or a diagnosis to be submitted as supporting documentation. Any such documents received will be deleted or shredded. The qualifying professional should be able to outline:

  • The nature of the student’s situation
  • Any functional limitations that necessitate an accommodation 
  • Recommendations for accommodations that would be appropriate for the student to have to live independently in residence

Any questions or concerns about the Accessibility Accommodation Request process may be forwarded to the Housing & Residence Life Office by phone at (416)-979-5284 or by email at


Frequently Asked Questions

No, an Accessibility Accommodation Request Form does not guarantee a spot in residence. A request for admission to residence will be considered only if a student would otherwise not be able to attend Toronto Met without living in residence, as determined by Toronto Met University.

A qualifying professional may be a healthcare practitioner (medical doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist etc.) or a recognized religious leader. They should be able to attest to the applicant’s need(s) and assess their impact on their ability to successfully live in residence.

If there are any questions about whether a qualifying professional is appropriate, please contact Housing & Residence Life by phone (416)-979-5284 or email at (opens in new window) .