FEAS Graduate Student Funds
We believe in the impact our students can make. That’s why the Faculty of Engineering and Architectural Science Graduate Studies Office is pleased to offer grants promoting student involvement within communities, both at home and abroad. Find the fund that helps you effect change.
Providing general financial assistance for educational and experiential expenses, this award benefits full-time FEAS graduate students who identify as an Indigenous person in Canada. Several $5,000 awards will be available per academic year, depending on the availability of funds. Preference will be given to applicants who are first-generation graduate scholars or those who can demonstrate previous and/or intended contribution to the Indigenous community.
In order to be considered for this award, students will need to demonstrate certain eligibility requirements. Successful candidates must:
- Identify as an Indigenous person in Canada, including First Nations (status or non-status), Métis and Inuit.
- Be registered in a FEAS graduate program on a full-time basis.
- Be in good academic standing.
Applications for the award for the 2022/2023 academic year should be submitted by Friday, November 18th, 2022 and students can apply via Award Spring, external link.
Recipients of the award will be selected based on a combination of academic success, research potential and/or research output, and contributions to the Indigenous community, as demonstrated through their application. Preference will be given to applicants who are first-generation graduate scholars or those who can demonstrate previous and/or intended contribution to the Indigenous community. The award committee will apply the following weights to each component of an applicant’s criteria.
|Selection Criteria||Weighting (%)|
|Academic success (CGPA)||50%||30%|
|Research potential and/or research output||30%||50%|
|Contributions to the Indigenous community||20%||20%|
The FEAS Graduate Studies Travel Fund
The FEAS Graduate Studies Travel Fund aims to encourage graduate students to present their research at regional, national and international conferences, or at an equivalent academic event. Providing recipients with up to $1,000 to cover the cost of travel, accommodation, registration fees and other expenses related to attendance, the program gives students the opportunity to showcase their work, disseminate cutting-edge information and make industry connections outside of the university.
Graduate students may apply once per academic year and are eligible to receive up to $1,000 per academic year. Funds are distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Successful candidates must be:
• Registered in a FEAS graduate program on a full-time basis at the time of both application and conference attendance.
• In good academic standing.
• Active in an event relevant to their academic program and research, for example, in the role of a speaker, poster presenter or member of a panel or round table.
• Accepted as a conference speaker, presenting research backed by a department, program or faculty member at Toronto Metropolitan University.
• In receipt of financial support for the conference from their supervisor, home graduate program and/or department.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis up until Monday August 14th, 2023. Please note applications may close earlier than August 14th, 2023, if all funding is awarded earlier in the academic year. To apply, submit the following documents to your graduate program administrator graduate program administrator:
• Completed PDF fileApplication for the FEAS Graduate Studies Travel Fund form
• Proof of presentation (such as a copy of your acceptance letter)
• The research abstract or, if available, full paper being presented
• Proof of payment of registration fee
• Receipts for any incurred transportation, accommodation, meal or other travel-related expenses
• Confirmation of financial contribution from a faculty supervisor, your home graduate program and/or department (such as an email stating support).
Completed applications in an accepted format (PDF, Word, Excel, jpeg or tiff) must be sent via email to your graduate program administrator (GPA) and will be reviewed upon receipt. Hard copy applications and other file formats will not be accepted. Approved funds will be processed through the student's home graduate program, and an e-transfer will be processed.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.