Dr. Mohammadreza Arani
Areas of Academic Interest
Cyber-physical security of smart grids
Microgrids dynamics and control
Renewable and distributed generation
Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
Power system stability
|2017||University of Alberta||PhD|
|2012||University of Waterloo||MASc|
|2009||Sharif University of Technology||BSc|
|EES 612||Electric Machines and Actuators|
Even with a handful of positions to choose from, the decision for Mohammadreza Arani to bring his research to Ryerson was an obvious choice. The power systems and renewable energy researcher saw the potential offered by a downtown core campus. “What I’m doing is very much related to improving urban life, and Ryerson benefits from being in Toronto” he says. Arani’s research, which began in renewable energy and wind generators during his undergraduate studies and later evolved to cyber security of smart grids, has benefited from not only the location but also an impressive catalogue of facilities and researchers in his field of expertise. “We are one of the best institutions in this area of research.”
Having joined Ryerson in 2019, Arani represents a generation of faculty members who are injecting new ideas into the school of engineering. And yet, he himself is already looking to those who will come after him. “I see my graduate students as my future colleagues, whether they go to industry or academia. I help them become independent researchers, and we collaborate together,” says Arani. “Once they finish their degrees, we can continue our collaboration, now on a different level.”
“I try to solve problems that are important in the everyday life of people.”
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowship (2017-2019)
- Alberta Innovates Technology Future Student Scholarship (2014-2017)
- M. F. M. Arani and Yasser Mohamed, “Analysis and Enhancement of the Artificial Bus Method for Grid-Connected Converters under Faults”, IEEE Transaction on Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 1729-1739, May 2019.
- M. F. M. Arani and Yasser Mohamed, “Dynamic Droop Control for Wind Turbines Participating in Primary Frequency Regulation in Microgrids”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 5742-5751, Nov. 2018.
- M. F. M. Arani and Yasser Mohamed, “Analysis and Performance Enhancement of Vector-Controlled Voltage Source Converters Connected to Very Weak Grids”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 684-693, Jan. 2017.
- M. F. M. Arani and Yasser Mohamed, “Assessment and Enhancement of a Full-Scale PMSG-Based Wind Power Generator Behavior under Faults”, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 728-739, June 2016.
- M. F. M. Arani and Yasser Mohamed, “Analysis and Mitigation of Undesirable Impacts of Implementing Frequency Support Controllers in Wind Power Generation”, IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, vol.31, no.1, pp.174-186, March 2016.