Dr. Fei Yuan
Areas of Academic Interest
CMOS mixed-mode circuits and systems
Analog-to-digital data converters
Transceivers for high-speed data communications over wire channels
Passive wireless microsystems
|1999||University of Waterloo||PhD|
|1995||University of Waterloo||MASc|
|EE 8502||Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits|
|EE 8503||VLSI Circuits and Systems for Data Communications|
|ELE 700||Engineering Design|
In a beautiful rose garden, the landscape requires more than just flowers. Between the prized blooms and the dirt beneath, trailing greenery and lush grass play an equally vital role. Fei Yuan’s gardening analogy for the academic environment is a fitting one. At the university level, research output is widely admired, but the often less glamorous underpinnings of teaching are just as important.
Yuan himself has paid equal attention to both his research in microelectronics and his focus on teaching excellence. On the one hand, he’s published six monographs and more than 250 scientific papers, many of which have only two investigators: Yuan himself and one of his grad students, who play a key role in Yuan’s research. On the other, he takes great pride in not only mentoring grad students but also teaching at the undergraduate level. Yuan’s been recognized with both research chair positions and teaching awards, demonstrating his balanced approach to academia. But it’s while speaking about his former students that Yuan’s face lights up. “What gives me the most fulfilment is seeing the success of students.”
“I’ve tried to do research others aren’t doing. I don’t want to follow in others’ footprints.”
- Dean’s Research Excellence Award, 2004
- Ryerson Research Chair, 2005
- Dean’s Teaching Award, 2017
- Fellow, Institute of Engineering and Technology, 2016
- NSERC Post-Graduate Scholarship - Doctoral, 1997-1999
- F. Yuan and P. Parekh, "Time-based all-digital delta-sigma time-to-digital converter with pre-skewed bi-directional gated delay line time integrator," IET Circuits Devices Systems (in press), 2019.
- F. Yuan and P. Parekh, "All-digital delta-sigma time-to-digital converter via time-mode signal processing" IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems II - Express Briefs (in press), 2019.
- F. Yuan (Ed), CMOS Time-Mode Circuits : Principles and Applications (external link) , CRC Press, 2015.
- Y. Zhou, N. Filiol, and F. Yuan, "Current reuse quadrature charge-domain sampling mixer with embedded FIR, IIR, and N-path filters," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems I - Regular Papers, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 1431-1440, May 2015.
- F. Yuan and Y. Zhou, "Frequency-domain study of lock range of non-harmonic oscillators with multiple multi-tone injections," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems I - Regular Papers, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 1395 - 1406, May 2013.
- Guest Editor, "All-Digital Time-Mode Approaches for Mixed Analog-Digital Signal Processing" special issue, Electronics (external link)
- Guest Editor, "Time-Based Approaches for Mixed-Mode Signal Processing" special issue, Journal of Low-Power Electronics and Applications (external link)
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Electrical and Electronic Systems (external link)
- Advisory Board, Sci (external link)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Low-Power Electronics and Applications (external link)
- Editorial Board, Electronics (external link)
- Editorial Board, Scientific World Journal (external link)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Sensor Networks and Data Communications (external link)
- Program Co-Chair, IEEE Int'l Conf. on Integrated Circuits and Microsystems, Beijing
- Program Co-Chair, IEEE Int'l Conf. on Communication and Information Systems, Wuhan
- Program Co-Chair, Int'l Conf. on Circuits, System and Simulation (ICCSS), Guangzhou
- Program Co-Chair, IEEE Int'l Conf. on Integrated Circuits and Microsystems, Shanghai