Dr. Alagan Anpalagan
Areas of Academic Interest
Mobile and cloud computing
IoT and sensor networks
Radio resource management
Cross-layer network design
Performance modelling, analysis and optimization
|2001||University of Toronto||PhD|
|1997||University of Toronto||MASc|
|1995||University of Toronto||BASc|
|EE 8107||Digital Communications|
|ELE 815||Wireless Communications|
|ELE 800||Design Project|
In any given pocket of the city, there might be around 1,000 wireless sensor-equipped smart devices collecting and transmitting information – and making our lives easier and safer in the process. These devices monitor the air quality and temperature inside homes, the power of the smart grid, and even control appliances. Ten years from now, that same neighbourhood will have closer to 100,000 sensors. Alagan Anpalagan’s research not only has helped propagate those very sensor networks but also is helping advance the technology that supports them. “We’re going to have sensors for everything now. Connecting them is our job. That’s what we do.”
Anpalagan’s broad focus on the areas of wireless communications, networking and cloud computing began with a childhood interest in radio communications. When he started out his academic career, 2G networks were the technology of the time. Over the decades, he’s witnessed firsthand the advancement to 3G, 4G and, now 5G. And Anpalagan is already looking ahead to 6G, which he says will be coming around year 2030. “I have to look for new ideas because, very quickly, technology matures and then saturates.”
“I love to teach because it’s an exchange of knowledge from me to the student.”
- Fellow, Engineering Institute of Canada, 2019
- Fellow, Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2015
- IEEE Canada J.J. Ham Outstanding Engineering Educator Award, 2018
- Ryerson YSGS Outstanding Contribution to Graduate Education Award, 2017
- G. Carvalho. Wougnang, A. Anpalagan. (2021) "Cloud Firewall Under Bursty and Correlated Data Traffic: A Theoretical Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing.
- L. Ferdouse, A. Anpalagan, S. Erkucuk. (2019) “Joint Communication and Computing Resource Allocation in 5G Cloud Radio Access Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- A. Alnoman, A. Anpalagan and et al. (2018) “Energy Efficiency on Fully Cloudified Mobile Networks: Survey, Challenges, and Open Issues“, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, 20(2), pp. 1271 – 1291.
- W. Ejaz, A. Anpalagan and et al. (2017) "Efficient Energy Management for the Internet of Things in Smart Cities", IEEE Communications Magazine, 55(1), pp. 84-91.
- Y. Sun, A. Anpalagan and et al. (2016) "VERACITY: Overlapping Coalition Formation-Based Double Auction for Heterogeneous Demand and Spectrum Reusability", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 34(10), pp. 2690-2705.
- Member, Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Lead Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and
Networking: Special Issue on Green Communication and Computing
Technologies for 6G Networks
- Guest Editor, IEEE Wireless Communications – Feature Topic on Sustainable Green Networking and Computing in 5G Systems
- Vice Chair, IEEE ComSoc Technical Committee on Green Communications, SIG on Green and Sustainable Networking
- Technical Program Vice-Chair, 2017 IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference
- Technical Program Co-Chair, 2015 IEEE Globecom: SAC Green Communication and Computing