Using XM Fax (Formally XMedius Fax)
XM Fax is a network fax server solution which enables users to send, receive and manage faxes using their own PC, instead of a fax machine or a fax modem. XM Fax can be accessed using XM Fax client or the XM Fax web interface.
Using the XM Fax client or the XM Fax web interface you can attach documents with the file type HTML, PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, WPD, RTF, TXT or images with the file type GIF, JPG, BMP, TIFF to your fax. To use the SendFax client, you need to download and install a driver available from the CCS website at Software for Phones and Fax.
- Hardware: Any x86 or 64-bit desktop
- OS: Windows 11/10/8/8.1
- Supported browsers: Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
Before you use XM Fax, please ensure that you have an XM Fax username and password. For assistance with XM Fax please call the CCS Help Desk.
Using the SendFax Client
The SendFax Screen
Different Options on the XM Fax SendFax Screen are Described
|To||This field receives the name of the fax recipient. Manually enter a recipient's name, or click the To... button and select from your personal Fax phone book.|
|Company||Recipient's company name.|
|Destination||Fax number of the recipient. This is the only mandatory field.
Note: All fax numbers external to TMU must begin with a "9," (the number nine followed by a comma).
|Subject||Subject heading of fax.|
|Thumbnail View||Displays a small image of each page of the fax. Selecting a page in the Thumbnail view displays the page in the Fax Preview portion of the screen. Use Thumbnail View to reorder or delete pages from the fax you are composing.|
|Fax Preview||Displays a single page of the fax at a time. It is here that you add annotations to a fax before transmission. Annotations can include text; highlight; bitmap images; and shapes like lines, squares, circles, etc.|
|Fax Recipient List||Displays individuals and groups who are to receive the transmission, either selected from a phone book or typed directly into the To field (item 1).|
|Add to Fax Recipients||Used to add a fax recipient to the Fax Recipient List when entered manually. When adding to the recipient list, the Destination field is the only required field.|
|Cover Sheet||Select a different cover sheet by clicking on this drop down menu.|
|Insert File||Button used to insert a document or image file you would like to fax.|
|Send||Used to send the fax to the Recipient List, when at least one recipient has been added|
SendFax from an Application
Please see below for more options:
- To enter a fax recipient, complete the To, Company, Destination (mandatory fax number) and Subject entry boxes and press the Add Fax Recipient List icon.
- Add all fax recipients to Fax Recipient List, by either manually or by selecting them from your address book.
- Select a different cover sheet if desired.
- Select the document you would like to fax by clicking on Insert (represented by a paper clip to indicate attachment), or by clicking on File > Insert. Choose the desired file when asked and click on Open when finished. Multiple documents can be sent within the same fax by repeating this step.
Note: The software needed to view the type of document you wish to fax must be installed on your PC in order to successfully fax your document. (i.e. To successfully fax an MS Word document using SendFax, you must have MS Word installed on your PC). SendFax may open the corresponding application temporarily.
- Re-order pages if desired.
- Complete the required fields to send your fax.
- Press Send to send the fax.
- At the User Settings screen enter your XM Fax username and XM Fax password. Click OK.
- The fax will be sent and you will see the confirmation window.
- Select Edit > Fax Properties. This option only sets the information for SendFax.
An email notification is sent to you informing you of new faxes. You will also receive a notification if you successfully or unsuccessfully sent a fax. Attached copies of received faxes are forward to your email in picture, .tif format.
- From SendFax, select File > User Settings.
- Select Do not send email confirmation.
- Click OK.
Once the XM Fax Viewer is open you can Print, Save or Mail the fax.
- Printing Fax
From the Menu choose File > Print Fax
- Saving Fax to a Local Drive
From Menu choose File > Save As
The fax will be saved as a Tif image.
- Mail Fax
From Menu choose File > Send to > Mail Recipient
Your Windows default email client will open with the attached fax. Enter the recipient's email address and send your email.
This option keeps a copy of fax in the XM Fax folder and sends a copy to another user’s email account.
- From the SendFax click Edit > Faxing Properties.
- Select the checkbox for Use Custom Sender & Company Information. Complete the information you want updated.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- From the XM Fax screen, click Options then select Change Password.
- Enter your current password, then your new password and the new password once again in the Confirm Password box.
- Click OK.
- Your password is changed immediately. Make sure to use your new password on your next login.
- From the Inbound History screen, select the fax and click Forward.
- Enter the user you wish to route this fax to. You can route a fax to any other XM Fax user at TMU.
- To search for the user, type a username. You can also use * as a wildcard. For example to search for someone with Smith in their name you can enter *smith*. This will search for anyone who has "smith" somewhere in their username. Make sure to select Type User and press Search.
- Select the user from the list of addresses displayed and click Add.
- Click Forward. Once forwarded, the fax will appear in the other user’s Inbound History folder