You are now in the main content area

This website is for students enrolled in the Professional Communication BA program only.

If you are not a Professional Communication student, refer to the Academic Program Directory to contact your advisor.

Common Questions

Take a look through the categories below to find answers to some common questions we receive from students. 

Of course, if the answer is not here you can always reach your advising team at

Does a student with an accomodation still use the ACR process?

Yes, if the extenuating circumstances do not relate to their accommodation. A student who has an academic accommodation may experience extenuating circumstances that impact their ability to meet their short-term academic obligations and should submit their requests through the ACR. e.g. a Student with Accommodations can still get the flu.

What if a student submits an ACR without a medical note?

If the student is using their once per term no documentation required request, the system will accept it. The system will automatically monitor submissions. If a student has already submitted their ACR without documentation for the term, further attempts to submit an ACR without documentation will be restricted.

What if a student is unable to get a medical note from their family doctor due to COVID? 

As of August 25, 2020, The Toronto Met Medical Centre is currently operating virtually with appointments by phone or video conferencing.

A medical note can be provided if the circumstances warrant it for a fee of $25.  Please have the student contact 416-979-5070 or by email at to schedule a virtual appointment.

NOTE: Students with symptoms of COVID-19 do not need to submit medical notes until further notice. 

Priority Enrolment Appointments for 1st year students 6:00am Fri, December 30th, 2021
Priority Enrolment Appointments for 4th year students 6:00am Tues, December 27th, 2021
Priority Enrolment Appointments for 3rd year students 6:00am Wed, December 28th, 2021
Priority Enrolment Appointments for 2nd year students 6:00am Thurs, December 29th, 2021
Winter 2022 Open Enrolment Period January 3rd - January 27th

Fall 2022 Exam Period: December 7-18, 2022.

All Toronto Met University exam information can be found here.

The Fall 2022 exam schedule will be released approximately one month before the start of the exam period.

Important notes from the Office of the Registrar:

How do I apply to graduate? 

All students planning to graduate in Spring 2021 must apply to do so through MyServiceHub. You must apply to gradute before March 1, 2021 if you do not want to pay a fee. Application recieved after April 15, 2021 will not be processed. Please review your academic advisement report to determine whether or not you are eligible to graduate.

Please click the following link for specific directions on applying to graduate through MyServiceHub:

How do I declare a minor?

A minor can be declared upon applying to graduate. Once you have completed all the necessary courses or are intended to finish the minor, it can be declared through your graduation application on MyServiceHub. Follow the link below for step-by-step instructions on how to do this! 

When will I receive my convocation date?

Spring convocation dates are typically finalzed in January. This is when you will know the date and time of your conovcation ceremony and you can make plans accordingly. Convocation ceremonies are typically 2 hours, followed by a reception. 

For more information about convocation, visit their FAQ page linked below. 

TIP! Do not wait until you receive final grades to apply to graduate, this will be too late.

Other details regarding enrolment support, online enrolment appointments, course intentions, class schedules, and waitlists can be found here on our advising site:

What is a Course Substitution/Directive form and when can I use it? 

A Course Substitution/Course Directive allows an undergraduate student to substitute one Toronto Met course for another within their program curriculum.

Course Substitution request determines whether a course that is not part of the normal curriculum of a program can be used to fulfill a specific course requirement in the program's normal curriculum. A course substitution does not replace prerequisite requirements needed to enrol in courses.

Course Directive request determines whether a course that is not part of the normal curriculum of a program can be used to fulfill a non-specific course in a prescribed group within the program's normal curriculum.

CMN Spring/Summer Course Offerings

Every year, the School of Professional Communication communicates the Spring/Summer course offerings to students. This changes from year to year based on availability. Please find the current CMN course offerings for the Spring/Summer 2021 term: 

  • CMN 279 Introduction to Professional Communication (D. Nubla)
    • June 21-Aug 9, online - asynchronous
  • CMN 300 Communication in the Computer Industry (D. Nubla)
    • May 3-Aug 9, online - asynchronous
  • CMN 306 Risk and Crisis Communication (C. Jenkins)
    • May 3-June 20, Tuesdays and Thursdays 2-5pm EDT - synchronous lecture twice per week
  • CMN 376 ProCom Internship (R. Bajko)
    • Note: application closed in Feb 2021
  • CMN 411 Special Topics in ProCom (C. Jenkins)
    • May 3-June 20, Mondays and Wednesdays 9am-12pm EDT (max: 55) - synchronous lecture/lab twice per week

Spring/Summer Courses through the Chang School

Professional Communication students may also be interested in taking open elective or liberal studies courses over the summer. The Toronto Met Chang School of Continuing Education offers many courses over the Spring/Summer term each year. 

Students may search for courses that they are interested in here. Before enrolling in a Chang school course, be sure to review the Chang School Significant dates calendar as this differs from the Toronto Met Undergraduate calender. 

Be sure to also check that the course you are enrolling in is listed in your degree requirements, or is on the open Elective Table, or the Liberal Studies table A or B

Note: It is important to be mindful of the type of course you are searching for on the Chang School website. Be sure the course reads as "Degree Credit" in order for it to count towards your degree requirements.