Dr. Patricia O’Reilly is Associate Professor in the Department of Politics and Public Administration, and a member of the Yeates School of Graduate Studies, at Ryerson University. She received her undergraduate and Masters’ degrees (BA and MA) from Queen’s University and her PhD from the University of Toronto.
Patricia is a recipient of a Ryerson McConnell Grant for Innovative Teaching as well as a Ryerson Experiential Learning Initiatives Grant. She teaches public policy, public administration, federalism, comparative, and women and politics courses, Patricia’s research focuses on policy capacity, legislation and regulation.
- "Why So Meek? The Recommendations of the Canadian Status of Women Parliamentary Report 14" (with Matthew Inwood). Journal of Parliamentary and Political Law 13:3 (November 2019): 12-28.
- “The Framing and Implementation of Law: Assisted Death in Canada” (with Laura Hogeboom). Journal of Parliamentary and Political Law 11:3 (November 2017): 697-720.
- “Intergovernmental Policy Capacity and Practice in Canada” (with Greg Inwood and Carolyn Johns). In Policy Work in Canada: Professional Practices and Analytical Capacities, ed. Michael Howlett, Adam Wellstead and Jonathan Craft, 100-110. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2016.
- “The Romanow Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada: Laying the Groundwork or a Missed Opportunity for Policy Change?” In Commissions of Inquiry and Policy Change: A Comparative Analysis, ed. Gregory J. Inwood and Carolyn M. Johns, 193-211. Toronto: University of Toronto Press and the Institute of Public Administration of Canada, 2014.
- “Redrawing the Contracts: The Minister and the Medical Profession in Ontario and Alberta.” Journal of Parliament and Political Law 8:1 (March 2014): 209-230.
- “Implementing and Assessing Student Performance Skills and Learning: A Policy Role-Playing Exercise.” International Journal of Education 5:1 (2013): 103-119.
- Intergovernmental Policy Capacity in Canada: Inside the Worlds of Finance, Environment, Trade, and Health (with Gregory J. Inwood and Carolyn M. Johns). Montréal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2012.
- “Formal and Informal Dimensions of Intergovernmental Administrative Relations in Canada” (with Gregory J. Inwood and Carolyn M. Johns). Canadian Public Administration 50:1 (Spring 2007): 21-41.
- “Intergovernmental Innovation and the Administrative State in Canada” (with Gregory J. Inwood and Carolyn M. Johns). Governance: An International Journal of Policy, Administration and Institutions 19:4 (October 2006): 627-49.
- “Intergovernmental Officials in Canada” (with Gregory J. Inwood and Carolyn M. Johns). In Canada: the State of the Federation 2002: Reconsidering the Institutions of Canadian Federalism, ed. J. Peter Meekison, Hamish Telford and Harvey Lazar, 249-284. Montréal & Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2004.
- “The Federal/Provincial/Territorial Health Conference System.” In Federalism, Democracy and Canadian Health Policy, ed. Duane Adams, 17-59. Montréal & Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2001.
- “The Canadian Health Care Landscape.” In Federalism, Democracy and Canadian Health Policy, ed. Duane Adams, 107-129. Montréal & Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2001.
- Health Care Practitioners: An Ontario Case Study in Policy Making. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2000.
Dr. O'Reilly is currently pursuing research in regulatory legislation and accountability.