Evacuation of University Buildings in the Event of Fire or Other Emergency Policy
- Related Documents: Evacuation of University Buildings in the Event of Fire or Other Emergency Procedure and Evacuation of Disabled Persons Guidelines
- Owner: Facilities Management & Development; Community Safety and Security (CSS)
- Approver: Vice-President, Administration and Operations
- Approval Dates: March 1993, April 2001, January 2004, August 2007, September 2011
It is the responsibility of the University to safeguard the Ryerson community in the event of fire or other emergencies requiring the evacuation of University buildings. Each member of the Ryerson community has personal responsibilities for fire safety and evacuation which are integral to these safeguards.
The University will ensure that the evacuation process works smoothly and efficiently by:
1. maintaining the fire alarm systems in operable condition;
2. disseminating and prominently displaying information necessary to the location of primary and alternate exits;
3. appointing and training personnel as fire wardens where required and/or requested;
4. holding fire drills requiring the evacuation of buildings.
In an emergency or if you have immediate safety or security concerns, call 911.
You can also reach Ryerson Security at 416-979-5040, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
External phones: 416-979-5040
Internal phones: 5040
Location: Victoria Building (VIC), 285 Victoria Street, 1st floor
This policy shall be under the jurisdiction of the Vice President, Administration and Finance. The application and interpretation of this policy and associated procedures is the joint responsibility of Campus Facilities & Sustainability, and the Department of Integrated Risk Management (IRM).