Areas of Academic Interest
When it comes to his professional life, there are two sides to Scott Tsai: the technical expert side and the collaborative facilitator side.
Tsai’s technical expertise is grounded in his work as a biomedical engineer who specializes in microfluidics. In particular, Tsai is a leading expert in lab-on-a-chip technology and the production and control of microbubbles that can be used to enhance drug delivery, medicine, diagnostics and, ultimately, patient care. “I really enjoy understanding how such bubbles form,” he says. “How they grow, how droplets are generated and so on, from a physics-based modelling perspective.”
The collaborative side of Tsai’s expertise centres around his role at the Institute for Biomedical Engineering Science and Technology (iBEST), a partnership between Ryerson University and St. Michael’s Hospital. As the biomedical delivery systems theme lead, he brings together clinicians and clinician-scientists who are experts on the patient side of biomedicine with scientists and engineers who are experts on the technology side. “Together, we are working to push the boundaries of biomedicine.”
“Creativity and innovation often result from the integration of diverse perspectives.”
- United States Fulbright Visiting Research Chair Award (2018)
- Ryerson University Early Research Career Excellence Award (2017)
- Government of Ontario Early Researcher Award (2016)
- Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering I.W. Smith Award (2015)
- Gnyawali, V., Strohm, E.M., Wang, O., Tsai, S.S.H., and Kolios, M.C. “Simultaneous Acoustic and Photoacoustic Microfluidic Flow Cytometry for Label-free Analysis.” Scientific Reports, vol. 9, 2019, 1585.
- Navi, M., Abbasi, N., Jeyhani, M., Gnyawali, V., and Tsai, S.S.H. “Microfluidic Diamagnetic Water-in-water Droplets: A Biocompatible Cell Encapsulation and Manipulation Platform.” Lab on a Chip, vol. 18, no. 22, 2018, pp. 3361-3370.
- Abbasi, N., Navi, M., and Tsai, S.S.H. “Microfluidic Generation of Particle-stabilized Water-in-water Emulsions.” Langmuir, vol. 34, no. 1, 2018, pp. 213-218.
- Jeyhani, M., Mak, S.Y., Sammut, S., Shum, H.C., Hwang, D.K., and Tsai, S.S.H. “Controlled Electrospray Generation of Non-spherical Alginate Microparticles.” ChemPhysChem, vol. 19, 2018, pp. 2113-2118.
- Gnyawali, V., Moon, B-U, Kieda, J., Karshafian, R., Kolios, M.C., and Tsai, S.S.H. “Honey, I shrunk the Bubbles: Microfluidic Vacuum Shrinkage of Lipid-stabilized Microbubbles.” Soft Matter, vol. 13, no. 22, 2017, pp. 4011-4016.
- Member, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), 2018 - present
- Member, Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), 2015 - present
- Member, Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering (CSME), 2013 - present
- Member, American Physical Society (APS), 2010 - present
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2011-17
- Harvard University Frank Knox Scholar, 2007-12