You are now in the main content area

Update: Toronto Metropolitan University’s readiness plan to welcome international students

As was announced by the federal government, all post-secondary institutions must have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by their provincial government to be able to welcome international students. Effective November 17th, Toronto Metropolitan University's readiness plan has been approved by the federal and provincial governments.

In addition to Toronto Metropolitan University’s approved COVID-19 readiness plan, international students must be eligible to enter Canada through possession of a valid study permit or letter of introduction issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

For more information related, visit Study Permit: COVID-19 program delivery, external link. If you are unclear about your eligibility to enter Canada, please contact International Student Support at

COVID-19 Updates & Information

We understand our international community is particularly impacted at this time - and we are here for you.

In order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health of both students and staff we have implemented the following measures beginning Monday, March 16, 2020:

  • ISS remains open, in online formats, like many other campus support services.
  • Advising appointments with an international student advisor will be conducted via Google Meet or Zoom.
  • You may submit status letter requests online by logging into your RAMSS account. You will see ‘eForms Centre’ on the bottom right corner of your Student Homepage after logging in. Please click on ‘eForms Centre”. Please proceed to select “International - Status Letters” under “eForms Centre” on the left hand side of your screen. It is very important that you select “International - Status Letters” or your request may be directed to another office.
  • Please note that our rush service will not be available at this time.
  • Download the Arrival and Self-Isolation Handbook here, external link.

If you are in need of a UHIP card, please complete the google formfollowing form, external link and your card will be emailed to you.

  • If you are unable to leave Canada at this time due to travel restrictions, please know that you are able to apply for an extension of your temporary residence documents.
  • If your legal status in Canada has expired, please request an appointment with an international student advisor at for your next steps.
  • If you wish to return to your home country, please connect with your program administrator or departmental assistant to confirm course delivery and examination formats before making this decision. We recommend that you continue to monitor entry restrictions, airline policies and mandatory self-quarantine periods that may be required upon your arrival in your home country.
  • Returning to Canada: Toronto Metropolitan University's readiness plan was approved by the federal and provincial governments effective November 17th, 2020. International students with a valid study permit or study permit approval letter may now travel to Canada. For more information, it is important that you consult the FAQ section below under “I’m an international student with a valid study permit or study permit approval letter. Can I travel to Canada?”

International Student Support is available to support you with any questions related to navigating the Canadian immigration process. Reach out to them at

Housing and Residence Life is currently accepting applications for Fall/Winter 21/22. They continue to follow public health and governmental directives in providing residence spaces that follow the required social distancing and health and safety guidelines. Housing and Residence Life’s priority is to continue to provide residence; our housing team will be in touch with all applicants as the COVID-19 situation in Toronto develops. For any questions or concerns about your housing application, please contact

Toronto Metropolitan University has partnered with Keep.meSAFE to provide all students with 24/7 mobile access to licensed counsellors via the My SSP app. Mental health care can be provided in over 60 languages and students can access the service from outside of Canada too.

  • Keep.meSAFE is a mental health counselling service that specializes in student mental health support and provides 24/7 access to licensed counsellors through telephone and mobile chat.
  • Students can download the My SSP app on their phone’s app store: Apple Store, external link; Google Play, external link. Keep.meSAFE can also be accessed with a phone call by dialling 1-844-451-9700.

Please know that you are not alone during this time and ISS is here to support you.

Frequently Asked Questions


Absolutely! Upon confirming your offer of admission to Toronto Metropolitan University, we recommend that you apply for your study permit as soon as possible. Due to COVID-19, many of the Visa Application Centres are temporarily closed, so at this time, you will need to apply online. To start the study permit application process, please create an online secure IRCC account, external link, free of charge. IRCC stands for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, which is the government entity that processes applications to work, study, visit and/or move to Canada. You will proceed to answer a questionnaire that determines which application forms and documents are required based on your unique situation. Please complete the application forms, upload the required documents and finalize your application by making the study permit fee payment by credit or debit card within your online secure IRCC account. Upon paying the application fee, the application is complete and submitted for processing.

Beginning October 20th, 2020, international students are able to enter Canada only once their designated learning institution (DLI) has an approved COVID-19 readiness plan in place. 

Ryerson's readiness plan was approved by the federal and provincial governments and we were added to the list of approved designated learning institutions (DLIs) on November 17th, 2020. In addition to Ryerson having an approved COVID-19 readiness plan, you must be eligible to enter Canada through the following:

The current travel exemptions for international students are to travel to Canada for the purpose of studies. We do recommend that if you are traveling, you are either currently enrolled in courses or are travelling shortly before you begin courses. We would recommend travelling no earlier than four (4) weeks prior to beginning your courses.

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers, external link entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada. For additional information, please visit the Government of Canada website, external link.

The Government of Canada, external link has announced that beginning July 5, 2021 at 11:59pm EDT, you may qualify for certain exemptions to quarantine and COVID-19 testing requirements if you meet all of the following eligibility criteria:

*Please note that international students with a valid study permit or study permit approval letter (also known as a letter of introduction) who are attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan are eligible to enter Canada. Toronto Metropolitan University’s COVID-19 readiness plan was approved on November 17, 2020. 

To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of a vaccine – or a combination of vaccines – accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. The list of accepted vaccines is available here, external link

Effective November 30, 2021, 03:01 AM EST, the following COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the World Health Organization (WHO) have been added to the list of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada to qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.

  • Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C) 
  • Sinopharm (Beijing) BBIBP-CorV (Vero Cells) 
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)

The following Health Canada authorized vaccines continue to be accepted to meet the fully vaccinated traveler definition.

  • Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Moderna (Spikevax, mRNA-1273)
  • AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria, COVISHIELD, ChAdOx1-S, AZD1222)

Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)

If you received your vaccines outside Canada, it’s still accepted but proof of vaccination must be uploaded digitally in ArriveCAN and must only be in French or English, or certified translation into French or English.

For full details of the requirements to meet this exemption, please contact

At this time, Toronto Metropolitan University's definition of “fully vaccinated” remains in line with the Government of Ontario’s definition of fully vaccinated, which is outlined below:

  • (i)  the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by Health Canada, external link, or any combination of such vaccines,
  • (ii)  one or two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine not authorized by Health Canada, followed by one dose of a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine authorized by Health Canada, or
  • (iii)  three doses of a COVID-19 vaccine not authorized by Health Canada.
  • Additionally, the final dose must have been received at least 14 days ago. 

Please note that as these definitions of “fully vaccinated” vary, you may be exempt from quarantine if you meet the federal criteria for entry to Canada. However, you may require an additional vaccine in order to be considered fully vaccinated to attend in-person classes on campus. If you are unsure of your next steps as it relates to your options for vaccination, Medical Centre physicians will be available to provide medical advice regarding COVID-19 vaccines. You can book an appointment by calling 416-979-5070 or by email at

The university will communicate with all students if there are updates or changes to the vaccination policy.

At this time, provided that the domestic epidemiologic situation remains favourable, Canada allows entry to any fully vaccinated travellers who have completed the full course of vaccination with a Government of Canada-accepted vaccine, external link at least 14 days prior to entering Canada and who meet specific entry requirements. If your parents are not fully vaccinated, they may not be able to enter Canada.

In order to prepare for your travels to Canada, please ensure to take action on the points listed below:

Current Students

If you did not apply to extend your study permit before leaving Canada, you should apply for a new study permit,, external link, as study permit extensions can only be requested from inside of Canada. At this time, study permit applications must be submitted online through your secure IRCC account, external link. This account is also referred to as a MyCIC account or GC Key. You will need to request a status letter from ISS to confirm your enrolment as this is a mandatory document for your application. Please apply for your new study permit as soon as possible to get your application in the queue for processing.

Toronto Metropolitan University will do whatever we can to support your access to our educational platforms. More information regarding global access to Toronto Metropolitan University systems. Please keep in mind that you may need to use a Google authenticator to log into D2L.

If your courses have been moved online due to COVID-19, you are still eligible to apply for a PGWP. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has updated the eligibility requirements, external link to reflect this change. If you have a valid study permit OR have applied for a study permit prior to beginning your studies AND are unable to travel to Canada at this time, you are still eligible for a PGWP.

All your time studying online outside Canada between spring 2020 and December 31, 2021, external link, counts toward the length of a PGWP. This applies even if you’re completing 2 different study programs. All students must eventually be approved for a study permit in order to obtain a PGWP.

Any time spent studying outside of Canada after December 31, 2021 may be deducted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.

At this time, applications for PGWP made outside of Canada must be submitted online through an online IRCC account, external linkView instructions explaining how to complete an online application, external link. To submit an online application, you will need a scanner or camera to make digital copies of your required documents and a debit or credit card to pay the application fee. You have up to 180 days, external link to submit your application for a PGWP after receiving official confirmation that you have satisfied all of your program requirements and are eligible to graduate.

Supporting documents for your PGWP application include a PGWP letter from ISS confirming the completion of your study and your final transcripts from your RAMSS account. To request a PGWP letter from the ISS, please complete all sections of the google formStatus Letter Request Form, external link and select the appropriate letter for your purposes. In order to receive a PGWP letter from ISS, you must have attended a mandatory PGWP Immigration Insights Session.

Effective June 30, 2020, Toronto Metropolitan University is issuing official digital transcripts. Please order an e-transcript through your RAMSS account under “My Academics” to include in your PGWP application.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) allows some situations in which international students may take an authorized leave, external link from their studies for a maximum of 150 days and continue to comply with the conditions of their study permit. You do not need to inform IRCC of your authorized leave, however, you will be required to show proof that your leave was authorized and no longer than 150 days if they ask for it in the future. Due to IRCC regulations, you cannot work on or off-campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada. If you take a leave of absence for any of the reasons approved by IRCC and you continue to comply with the conditions of your study permit, you may still be eligible for a PGWP, external link. We do not anticipate that you will obtain a longer PGWP as a result of taking an authorized leave. Please ensure to follow the procedure on the Short-Term Withdrawal page and connect with your program administrator or departmental assistant.

If you are an international student at Toronto Metropolitan University and would like to request a Letter of Permission (LOP) to study at a post-secondary institution outside of Canada, please note that there are some immigration considerations to keep in mind.

As a study permit holder, it is important that you maintain continuous enrolment at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). If your LOP is granted, you will not be considered as enrolled at Toronto Metropolitan University.

Undergraduate students, continuous enrolment means:

  • you must be enrolled in the fall and winter semesters;
  • enrolment during the spring/summer is optional (depending on your program of study).

Graduate students, continuous enrolment means:

  • you must be enrolled during the spring/summer semesters to maintain continuous enrolment.  

If you proceed to enrol at a post-secondary institution abroad through a granted LOP, you will not be enrolled at Toronto Metropolitan University during the semester(s) that you are studying at the institution in your home country. This could impact your eligibility for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), external link.

In order to maintain eligibility for the PGWP, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirms that you must maintain a full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program of study you have completed. As a result, if you are not enrolled in a regularly scheduled academic session at Toronto Metropolitan University as a full-time student, you may not qualify to apply for the PGWP upon the successful completion of your program of studies.

ISS is committed to supporting students in navigating the uncertainties associated with their immigration applications at this time. Please feel free to reach out to us for support at or register for one of our immigration insights group advising sessions.