Sick Leave Benefits
Ryerson-paid sick leave benefits provide your regular salary for up to 66 working days if you become ill or injured and cannot perform the duties of your regular job.
If you continue to be disabled beyond the 66-day period of sick leave, you may be eligible for long-term disability (LTD) benefits.
How do I initiate my sick leave benefits?
If you are unable to attend to your duties for reason of illness, accident, or injury, you must promptly contact your chair/director to advise of your absence and your probable return to work date.
You may be required to provide your chair/director with a medical note to substantiate your absence if it extends beyond seven working days. Your doctor is not required to provide detailed medical information about your condition on the note.
If your absence extends beyond 10 working days, you will be required to complete Homewood Health Inc. salary continuance forms. Workplace Wellbeing Services will provide these forms, as well as information and support during your absence and return to work.
For absences, injuries or health care appointments that are a result of a workplace accident, review Reporting workplace accidents, injuries and incidents.
What is the maximum coverage amount?
Substantiated absences due to illness or injury will be covered up to 66 working days. During this period your salary, deductions and benefits remain the same. For more information, see Exclusions and Conditions.
What happens if I return to work and then am absent due to an unrelated illness or injury?
If you return to your regular work hours after recovering from one illness or injury, but a new illness or injury occurs, you will be eligible for up to an additional 66 working days of sick leave benefits.
What happens after I have exhausted my sick leave benefits?
If you are unable to return to work after your sick leave benefits end, you may be eligible for long-term disability (LTD) benefits.
If you expect your absence will extend beyond 66 days, please contact Workplace Wellbeing Services.
For more information, review the LTD benefits details.
What if my earnings change while I am receiving sick leave benefits?
Any appropriate change in your regular salary that occurs while you are receiving sick leave benefits will be reflected in your sick leave benefit amount.
Cost and tax facts
What is the cost for sick leave benefits coverage?
There are no employee-paid premiums. Ryerson pays for your sick leave benefits and Homewood Health Inc. administers the sick leave process on behalf of Ryerson.
How do taxes apply to sick leave benefits?
If you are eligible to receive sick leave benefits, they will be paid as a continuation of your salary. There is no change to your tax and other deductions. If you are uncertain if you are eligible for sick leave, contact your HR partner.
Exclusions & Conditions
- For longer absences (usually 10 working days or more) Workplace Wellbeing Services will forward you the necessary Homewood Health Inc. forms. Homewood Health Inc. administers and reviews medical documentation on behalf of the university.
- If Homewood Health Inc. is unable to confirm your inability to carry out your work responsibilities with the information provided, it may impact your eligibility for paid sick leave.
- The university will recover any overpayment resulting from an unsubstantiated medical absence.
- If you are absent from work for more than 66 consecutive working days for reasons of illness, accident, or injury, the sick leave benefits end at that time. You may then be eligible for long-term disability benefits.
- Your sick leave benefits are no longer available when you end your employment with Ryerson.
Ryerson reserves the right, at any time, to amend, change or discontinue any benefit coverage. If there is a question about coverage referred to in any portion of this benefits communication, the master contract from the insurer is the governing document.