How to host a meeting in Zoom
We have reconfigured Zoom to improve its security and privacy beyond its defaults to make it safer for the Toronto Metropolitan University community. We recommend scheduling meetings in advance with the following settings.
These settings are designed for hosting online classes. Different settings may be required for hosting confidential virtual meetings.
Review all safety and security tips for meeting hosts.
We recommend scheduling Zoom meetings through the Zoom web portal.
- Go to ryerson.zoom.us, external link
- Click “Sign In” and login using your Ryerson credentials.
- Go to the "Meetings" page, click “Schedule a Meeting” and fill out the form.
Share the meeting invitation using one of the following methods:
- Add to an announcement or content item in your D2L Brightspace course shell.
- Email it to your participants/students.
- Create a Google Calendar invitation and add the invitation to the body of the meeting.
For instructions on how to join and online meeting room etiquette, please share the Continuity of Learning guide with your students.
- You must notify participants if the online meeting will be recorded. Before recording, please instruct participants to turn off their microphone and webcam if they do not wish to be seen or heard.
- To share your computer screen or document, click “Share”.
- If participants need to ask questions, tell them to type it in the Chat or use the "raise hand" feature.
- Participants can enable their microphone and camera - but remind them not to, unless you ask them.
- For closed captioning, you need to first enable closed captioning, external link and assign someone to type. Please note, there is no live captioning feature. However, you can view an audio transcription for meetings recorded to the Zoom Cloud.
- Participants can share the meeting link with anyone, and anyone with the link will be able to join the meeting.
- If the "Require authentication to join" option is disabled; students can type in whatever name they desire. If the participation in the online meeting is “graded” or attendance is required, you should enable this recommended option.