Minimum Technology Requirements for Remote Learning
The following are the minimum technical requirements for students to access Toronto Metropolitan University’s online learning resources when engaged in remote learning. As individual programs or courses may have additional requirements, please refer to your faculty, program, or course requirements for specific guidance.
A Windows 10 or macOS X computer with a minimum of:
- Intel Core i5 processor or equivalent
- 8 GB RAM
- 20 GB of available storage space after all applications are installed
- Webcam (built-in or external)
- Ability to connect external devices as needed including where necessary: webcam, headset, and external storage devices
- Webcam, unless there is one already integrated into your computer
- Headset with microphone for improved audio quality and to reduce echo while speaking during webinars. If the computer has a good microphone, earbuds may be used instead
- A minimum download speed of 5 Mbps
- Google Chrome browser
- Where possible, a wired connection to a router is preferred over connecting to a router via wireless access. If wireless must be used, work as close as possible to the wireless router to maintain excellent signal strength
Storage in Google Drive is available to all TMU students along with Google Docs, Sheets, Calendar and Slides. More information about these services is available on the Google Workspace at Toronto Metropolitan University page of our website.
Microsoft Office is available free for all TMU students. For more information please visit the Microsoft software page on our website.
Sophos Home antivirus
Sophos Home is an antivirus program that will protect your personal PC or Mac computer against computer viruses and malware. Find instructions for downloading Sophos Home on our Security Software page.
Special purchasing programs for Dell and Apple products are available to students. Review the current offers at the: